Heavy rains Saturday afternoon brought flash flooding to residences near Poorhouse Road and Old Highway 25 south of Starkville. Ten residents evacuated their homes, and five needed assistance getting to safety. Photo by: Courtesy photos/Oktibbeha County Fire Services
July 20, 2019 10:02:29 PM
OKTIBBEHA COUNTY -- What is believed to be a flash flood led to the evacuation of 10 people Saturday afternoon in an apartment complex about two miles south of Starkville, according to Oktibbeha County Fire Services Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan.
"We had a torrential rain after lunch time and started getting calls in the area of Poorhouse Road and Old Highway 25," Rosenhan said.
The first call came at 1:38 p.m. from residents in an apartment complex on the northeast corner of Poorhouse Road and Old Highway 25, Rosenhan said.
"When the District 5 firefighters arrived, they reported four feet of water in the parking lot and water inside three apartments," he said.
Some residents had evacuated by the time the firefighters arrived, but firefighters did assist five people in evacuating, including a pair of elderly residents.
Rosenhan said flooding occurred throughout the area, covering driveways and outbuildings, but did not enter any other homes. He said firefighters quickly disconnected electricity to the property to prevent fires.
"We contacted Emergency Management and aid organizations to help with the displaced people," he said.
Rosenhan said the waters retreated quickly -- roughly a half-hour. A check of area roadway culverts revealed no obstructions.
"It appears to have just been a really heavy rainfall over a short period," he said.
Slim Smith is a columnist and feature writer for The Dispatch. His email address is [email protected]
1. Fiber internet coming to Lowndes County COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes man killed during apparent struggle over weapon with son COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Remembering Beverly Norris: The 'princess' of Columbus art COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Alabama man arrested after high-speed chase from Lowndes to Pickens counties COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Aldermen to consider TIF for retail center on Highway 12 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY