July 22, 2019 10:15:40 AM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
A Columbus teen was shot dead while attending a birthday party at Propst Park Saturday night, according to Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant.
Arykah Patrice White, 16, was standing outside the activity center at the park when shots were fired into the crowd, Merchant said. She was pronounced dead at the scene. Merchant added the victim was attending a birthday party where a fight started inside the activity center.
"There was a fight and I think the fight had moved outside," Merchant said. "People just kind of moved with it and somebody took a shot at the crowd."
Columbus Police Department confirmed through a statement from Public Information Officer Joe Dillon that a shooting happened at the park just before midnight and police were called to the scene at 11:35 p.m.
The shooting occurred in the parking lot outside the activity center in the northeast corner of the park. Greg Lewis, parks director, did not return calls or messages to The Dispatch before press time.
CPD Chief Fred Shelton told The Dispatch Sunday afternoon it was "too early" in the investigation to release more details of the incident and officers were still "chasing down leads." He said no suspects are in custody.
Anyone with more information about the incident, call Golden Triangle Crime Stoppers at 800-530-7151.
1. Fiber internet coming to Lowndes County COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes man killed during apparent struggle over weapon with son COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Remembering Beverly Norris: The 'princess' of Columbus art COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Alabama man arrested after high-speed chase from Lowndes to Pickens counties COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Aldermen to consider TIF for retail center on Highway 12 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY