December 5, 2019 10:19:37 AM
AUBURN -- Police wrote in a court record filed Wednesday that they believe the slain daughter of a well-known UFC fighter fought back against her assailant.
Twenty-nine-year-old Ibraheem Yazeed faces capital murder charges in the death of Aniah Blanchard, a 19-year-old Alabama college student.
In a charging document filed with the court, authorities wrote that Yazeed told someone that he had shot a woman and she "went for the gun." Police did not identify the person.
Blanchard was last seen Oct. 23 at a gas station in Auburn, Alabama. Her remains were discovered weeks later in a wooded area.
She was the stepdaughter of UFC heavyweight Walt Harris.
Prosecutors have indicated they will seek the death penalty if Yazeed is convicted.
1. Some road projects ongoing, others about to begin COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Jeff Smith: West Lowndes in need of storm shelters COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Update: Pumps delivered to Oktibbeha County Lake Dam; installation to begin Friday night STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Two arrested after chase with narcotics officers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Pumps reducing water level at Oktibbeha Lake STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY