December 5, 2019 10:19:34 AM
JACKSON -- Jackson State University's campus was placed on lockdown Wednesday after someone was shot and wounded there, prompting an active shooter alert.
A non-student was shot in the leg across the street from the student center, university spokesman L.A. Warren said. A university police officer at the scene confirmed to the Clarion Ledger that there was a single shooter, who also was not a student. The officer said one person was injured and brought to a hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.
The university initially sent out a tweet telling everyone on campus to take shelter. It later said the lockdown had been lifted and there was no longer a threat.
The historically black university is located just west of downtown Jackson and has about 7,000 students.
1. Some road projects ongoing, others about to begin COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Jeff Smith: West Lowndes in need of storm shelters COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Update: Pumps delivered to Oktibbeha County Lake Dam; installation to begin Friday night STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Two arrested after chase with narcotics officers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Pumps reducing water level at Oktibbeha Lake STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY