February 24, 2020 9:39:42 AM
An overnight fuel spill on the westbound lanes of Highway 82 in Lowndes County created traffic delays this morning.
The fuel spill was located between the Columbus city limits and the Golden Triangle Regional Airport, according to the Columbus Police Department.
Mississippi Highway Patrol Troop G public affairs officer Derrick Beckham said the source and volume of the spill was unknown and that workers from the Lowndes County Road Department and Mississippi Department of Transportation were restricting traffic on the affected area as they spread sand on the affected areas of the roadway.
"We haven't had any reported accidents," Beckham said. "Really, it's more of a nuisance at this point as the clean-up continues."
Traffic had begun moving normally through the area by 9 a.m.
1. Local State Farm agent, CRA chair dies Tuesday COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Huck's employee, off-duty Lowndes deputy involved in alleged 'simple assault' downtown COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Update: Victim in officer-involved shooting identified COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Police release video of altercation between Huck's owner and off-duty deputy COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Convenience store falsely claims employees at rival store have COVID-19 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY