Voice of the people: Raymond Gross




Sharing a droplet of knowledge


I heard something new to me Friday morning. The weather folks on WTVA were using the word "droplets" instead of raindrops to describe the present conditions in Tupelo. I began to wonder what the difference is. Are droplets female parts of rain and raindrops male parts? Or could droplets be baby raindrops or maybe fine mist? Glenda wasn't very concerned when I told her my thoughts and said, "don't worry about it." So I had to go to Mr. (know it all) Internet. I was really amazed with what I found, and I bet you will be too when you read the following short sweet and to the point explanation. It will give you something to pass on to the grands and great grands when they ask "why." It will also be more fodder for bragging on our Heavenly Father, He made it all.


Picture a huge cloud full of very tiny rain droplets milling around. As one droplet bumps into another droplet, the bigger droplet will "eat" the smaller droplet. This new bigger droplet will bump into other smaller droplets and become even bigger -- this is called coalescence. Soon the droplet is so heavy that the cloud can no longer hold it up, and it starts falling. As it falls it eats up even more droplets. We can call the growing droplet a raindrop as soon as it reaches the size of 0.5mm in diameter or bigger. If it gets any larger than 4 millimeters, however, it will usually split into two separate drops.



Now I don't know how the meteorologist measure the size of each one of them, but at least now I can understand their lingo a little better.


Raymond Gross






printer friendly version | back to top







Follow Us:

Follow Us on Facebook

Follow Us on Twitter

Follow Us via Email