March 10, 2014 9:41:09 AM
Clay County deputies have not yet made any arrests after $500 in equipment was stolen from the Yokohama Tire Company construction site Friday.
Sheriff Eddie Scott said the theft most likely occurred late Thursday night or early Friday morning. The culprits stole metal teeth from the bucket of a track hoe, kerosene and other tools from the East Hazelwood Road site, Scott said.
Deputies are still following leads to determine if there are multiple suspects.
"We don't know if there are multiple suspects but typically with this there's going to be more than one," Scott said. "We don't have anything concrete at this time."
Anyone with information should call the county's crime tips hotline at 1-800-530-7151.
Work on the new plant began in October and will open in late 2015.
Nathan Gregory covers city and county government for The Dispatch.
1. 30-plus employers to recruit at job fair COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Would-be CPD officer popped for DUI, other charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Granting excellence STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Starkville Utilities employee arrested for embezzlement STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Deputies seek man who wielded AR-15 rifle at park COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY