March 10, 2014 9:41:09 AM
Clay County deputies have not yet made any arrests after $500 in equipment was stolen from the Yokohama Tire Company construction site Friday.
Sheriff Eddie Scott said the theft most likely occurred late Thursday night or early Friday morning. The culprits stole metal teeth from the bucket of a track hoe, kerosene and other tools from the East Hazelwood Road site, Scott said.
Deputies are still following leads to determine if there are multiple suspects.
"We don't know if there are multiple suspects but typically with this there's going to be more than one," Scott said. "We don't have anything concrete at this time."
Anyone with information should call the county's crime tips hotline at 1-800-530-7151.
Work on the new plant began in October and will open in late 2015.
Nathan Gregory covers city and county government for The Dispatch.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Skull identified as missing son of former Columbus police chief COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Restaurant tax: Smith, Younger agree on reducing restaurant tax floor COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY