A group of 99 Mississippi 4-H leaders received a lesson Tuesday at the 4-County Electric Power Association corporate office.
The beginning of September will mark one year since a California-based solar silicon manufacturer chose Lowndes County for its sprawling new facilities. But after pushing the start date back several times, the company may soon be faced with having to request an extension or risk losing the hefty incentive package that state and local officials worked so hard to craft.
The steering committee charged to explore forming a tri-county economic development group for the Golden Triangle is off to a slow start -- if it has started at all.
A gunman opened fire early this morning at a bar in the hometown of the University of Alabama, wounding multiple people, police said today.
Three days have passed since the resignations of two banking center presidents in Columbus and Starkville, but Cadence Bank officials remain tight-lipped on the management shakeup.
The Columbus-Lowndes Convention and Visitors Bureau has elected a new leader. During Monday's regular board meeting, Dewitt Hicks was unanimously chosen to serve a one-year term as board chairman. He replaces outgoing chairman George Swales. Hicks, who was appointed to the board by the City of Columbus, urged his board members to work together.
Representatives from Lowndes, Oktibbeha and Clay counties have formed a steering committee to examine the possibility of forming a tri-county coalition for economic development.
The Columbus-Lowndes Development Link is moving forward with plans to recruit industry for West Point and Clay County, securing a deal earlier this week to obtain 10 percent of the resulting tax revenues, with the remaining 90 percent divided between West Point and Clay.
Oktibbeha County poised to join Lowndes and Clay counties in a joint development partnership
Mississippi manufacturing is getting national media attention and Forbes magazine was correct in noting Mississippi has a future as "a new American manufacturing center," agreed Columbus-Lowndes Development Link CEO Joe Higgins.
After weeks of no rain and the drought-like conditions that ensued, parts of Lowndes County received a substantial amount of rainfall on Monday. Other parts of the county were not as fortunate.
High winds associated with some isolated thunderstorms Friday evening caused some minor damage in Lowndes County. Reports of downed power lines and trees were reported across the county, but no injuries were reported.
The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals has affirmed a lower court's denial of a Lowndes County man's motion to suppress evidence of his possession of child pornography.
While telephone scams are nothing new, those behind the scams are becoming more creative in their methods. From direct phone calls to text messages, identity-theft scams are a daily occurrence.
Piggly Wiggly is Gone With The Wind. Belle Foods, which recently purchased 57 grocery stores across the Southeast - including the remaining Piggy Wiggly franchises - will mean an end to the historic brand that ushered in the modern supermarket concept 96 years ago.
Drought conditions and resulting low water levels of the Mississippi River aren't affecting the Tombigbee River, officials said Thursday.
Bernard Buckhalter was re-appointed to the Columbus-Lowndes Convention and Visitors Bureau on Tuesday by a 4-2 vote of the city council. Buckhalter is the manager of a Wendy's chain restaurant in Starkville.
School's out for summer, but that doesn't necessarily mean no more pencils, no more books for local students, many of whom are already immersed in reading assignments for the upcoming school year. While students may groan and parents may wonder what happened to the carefree vacations they remember, educators, backed by statistics, favor summer reading as a way to prevent "brain drain" -- the loss of critical skills attained in the classroom and shoved in the locker when the dismissal bell rings each summer.
A recent study conducted by the Columbus Police Department will be used to combat domestic violence. The research project, created through the office of Chief Selvain McQueen, shows more than 100 domestic violence cases have been reported in Columbus between January and July.
Fireworks have become almost synonymous with Independence Day; they are bright, colorful, loud and conjure images of "the bombs bursting in air" made famous in our National Anthem. But dry conditions this year may put a damper on some of the celebrations.
1. LCSO names suspect in Crawford shooting STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Shots fired near the Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Mayor seeks moratorium at Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY