Mississippi's state and local officials can tell you that defending the state's military bases from closures can get expensive.
Mississippi could choose its new state superintendent of education by October. The state Board of Education agreed in a Thursday discussion to take applications for the post from early June through early September, with plans to interview finalists in late September and reach a contract with a new leader by October.
The Mississippi Supreme Court has blocked the execution of Willie Jerome Manning, which had been scheduled for Tuesday evening.
An advocacy group and the brother of an inmate scheduled for execution Tuesday have filed a lawsuit to preserve evidence in the case for additional testing, whether the man is put to death or not.
Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood says a new round of DNA testing on evidence collected against death row inmate Willie Jerome Manning would not exonerate him in the 1992 deaths of two students.
1. CMSD teacher resigns amid test-taking accusation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Veteran says Vietnam taught invaluable lessons COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Special election needed to replace retiring prosecutor STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Gaskin challenges Starkville Ward 4 alderman race STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. SPD arrests Maben man in connection with robbery STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY