January 24, 2012 11:57:00 AM
The Northside Neighborhood Watch has been successful in securing positive and productive resolutions of problems and concerns through Councilman Kabir Karriem, the City Council, Mayor Smith, and numerous officials and department heads. We urge other citizens to join in supporting the efforts of public officials through positive recommendations rather than criticism.
We concur with the comments Mayor Smith offered in a front page CD article and the request of Chief McQueen for more police personnel. We have written to Judge Mark Amos and Judge Nicole Clinkscales to advocate that the highest possible bail be imposed on criminals when there is a record of repeated offenses or when there is substantive evidence of multiple crimes. Bail that can be paid in nominal installments neither deters crime nor keeps criminals in custody.
The current climate does not allow responsible citizens to evade participation. We urge everyone to convey praise, concerns, and productive recommendations to the officials they have elected.
The Northside Neighborhood Watch
1. Our View: Public deserves to know details on Lee development DISPATCH EDITORIALS
2. Editorial cartoons for 6-19-18 NATIONAL COLUMNS
3. Our View: Rural doctor program could be model for reducing brain drain DISPATCH EDITORIALS
4. David Harsanyi: Free trade already puts America first NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Leonard Pitts: Immigrant children are real children NATIONAL COLUMNS