June 17, 2009
Birney, good column in Sunday''s paper, as well as the other one in which you wrote about the Burns Bottom location for the six soccer fields.
As an older adult with no children or grandchildren playing soccer, I had no idea how popular the sport is. Even with its popularity, however, it''s beyond my comprehension as to why we should be spending millions of dollars to build six soccer fields anywhere, especially in Burns Bottom, which is notorious for flooding. I also think that six soccer fields that close to downtown is a terrible idea. And, has the idea of a Sportsplex been superseded by six soccer fields?
I have talked to a lot of people about this and haven''t found anyone who is in favor of the Burns Bottom location, but I''m very afraid that the powers that be are going to do what they want, no matter what the people want. But I do hope all who can will contact the Mayor, City Council members, Supervisors, etc. and let them know what they think.
Mary Faglie, Columbus
1. Susan Estrich: Close to home NATIONAL COLUMNS
2. Michael Gerson: The GOP as the party of reform NATIONAL COLUMNS
3. Lynn Spruill: Lest we forget LOCAL COLUMNS
4. Froma Harrop: Doing well by doing good -- but better by doing bad NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Our View: Summer's home stretch DISPATCH EDITORIALS