July 25, 2009 9:28:00 PM
Under the strange and very curious heading of "Major League Baseball," The Commercial Dispatch has seen fit to publish a story entitled " Mattingly''s son arraigned after spitting on mom" about the 24-year-old son of former major league player Don Mattingly. Seems the son, Taylor, scored a home run when he pushed his mother down and spit on her. But maybe there was no error because Mother Mattingly either insulted her son and others close to him because she wasn''t able to trade in his car for a new one. And furthermore, she was arrested and charged with public intoxication and disorderly conduct a year and a half ago. We baseball fans are also told that Don Mattingly and his wife filed for divorce in November, 2007. Is it any wonder that the educational and cultural levels of our newspapers are striking out? Well, that''s baseball.
Ben C. Toledano
1. Ask Rufus: The Fish Trap LOCAL COLUMNS
2. Roses and thorns: 12/9/18 ROSES & THORNS
3. Patrick J. Buchanan: Who lost the world Bush 41 left behind? NATIONAL COLUMNS
4. Jiben Roy: The natural process is the answer. Is it? NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Possumhaw: Where did they all come from? LOCAL COLUMNS