January 21, 2010 10:59:00 AM
After 63 years of business, Parker Appliance and Furniture Co. has decided to close.
It has gotten harder to find good quality American-made wood furniture that people could afford. Almost all wood furniture is being imported.
Financing and collecting has become very difficult.
I want to thank Dr. Wade Parker and Ann Buchanan, current owners, and the employees of Parker--Carolyn Haynes, Mary Robertson, Bill Wykoff, Ann Redwine, Fred Nance, Louis Perry, and Jimmy Webber.
A special thanks goes to my wife, Mildred Jean, who did everything to help our customers.
I am going to miss the business--especially our customers.
So after working 57 years at Parker, I have decided it is time to spend time with our sons, Doug and Wayne, and the grandchildren Taylor, Steven, Kyle, Zach, and Carley and my great-granddaughter Anna Madison.
My wife and I are planning on traveling and riding our yellow Gold Wing with our Gold Wing buddies.
Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way.
Howard Robertson, Columbus
sosorry commented at 1/27/2010 7:03:00 AM:
What a lovely letter, and a great example of someone who took a personal interest in the business, its staff, and its customers. You would never see anything so personal from a larger chain or superstore.
Thank you, sir, for taking the time to write that; there are many who are sad to see you close, but wish you the very best.
1. Voice of the people: Roger Wade LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (VOICE@CDISPATCH.COM)
2. Voice of the people: Jeff Turnage LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (VOICE@CDISPATCH.COM)
3. Voice of the people: Berry Hinds LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (VOICE@CDISPATCH.COM)
4. Our View: State flag is bad for Mississippi's brand DISPATCH EDITORIALS
5. Leonard Pitts: A speech for history NATIONAL COLUMNS