December 3, 2010 2:33:00 PM
Is it Christmas already? It''s getting there. New evidence will come marching down local streets over the next few days, as Christmas parades bring our communities out.
Fewer events evoke more of a unified, home-town feel than a good Christmas parade, and we have several to choose from. Starkville and Caledonia will hold theirs Saturday night. Columbus and West Point hold theirs Monday, and Artesia holds its parade Tuesday.
We like these parades because they''re a one-stop shop to witness the entirety of a community on display. Nothing brings together a wider cross-section of people. Most every school band, Girl Scout and Boy Scout, classic automobile, community leader and beauty queen, has a place. And hundreds more line the streets, weathering the nip in the air to watch the procession.
And if you''re in a parade, or there to watch, you''re automatically part of the community. There''s no cost to attend, but there''s plenty of benefits.
What better way to rev up the holiday spirit.
We urge everyone to come out and celebrate the season, cheer on their friends, neighbors and relatives, and bump into a new friend or two along the way, at your local parade.
· STARKVILLE PARADE: 6:30 p.m. Saturday, starting on Russell Street.
· CALEDONIA PARADE: 6 p.m. Saturday, starting at Ola J. Pickett Park.
· COLUMBUS PARADE: 7 p.m. Monday, starting at west end of Main Street downtown.
· WEST POINT PARADE: 6:30 p.m. Monday, starting on Main Street.
· ARTESIA PARADE: 7 p.m., downtown Artesia.
publicservice commented at 12/5/2010 5:55:00 AM:
Look for Buddy Beaver on the US Army Corps of Engineers Parade vehicle. Water safety first.
1. Our View: '60 Minutes' and the domino effect DISPATCH EDITORIALS
2. Home Base: Christmas shopping to the moon and back LOCAL COLUMNS
3. Patrick Buchanan: Is Trump throwing down gauntlet to China? NATIONAL COLUMNS
4. Kathleen Parker: Trump's demagogic illogic strikes again NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Our View: Public hearings on controversial issues are essential DISPATCH EDITORIALS