While I deplore -- no, I detest -- the decision by the mayor and city council of Columbus to not fly the state flag on municipal buildings, I believe it is within their rights to do so. To me it is a knee-jerk, spineless, politically-correct response to a manufactured problem, unworthy of the time and effort currently being spent on it.
Take the Mississippi flag down. Prejudices are gone with the removal of a flag. Really? Prejudice is a heart thing not a flag issue.
The right way to determine if a change needs to be made in our state flag is to put it to a vote state-wide -- to change or not to change, as we did some time ago.
1. Slimantics: Lessons in gratitude from an 8-year-old LOCAL COLUMNS
2. Froma Harrop: Are you happy? NATIONAL COLUMNS
3. Wyatt Emmerich: We have much to be thankful for LOCAL COLUMNS
4. Kathleen Parker: Crazy is as crazy does NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Editorial cartoon for 11-25-15 NATIONAL COLUMNS