In Mississippi, one-in-four children struggle with food insecurity. According to feedingamerica.org, that's nearly 165,000 children in Mississippi that may not know where their next meal will come from.
Of all cities, towns and villages in the United States, Columbus and Lowndes County should recognize the meaning of Memorial Day.
Henry Vaughn had some grievances to air at the beginning of Tuesday's board of aldermen meeting. Vaughn, who represents Ward 7, opened the aldermen comment period at the start of the meeting by blasting a series of initiatives the city has undertaken, from its annexation plan to efforts to build a new park.
Columbus city councilmen voted 5-1 to enter an agreement with Lowndes County to pay a consultant to the Columbus-Lowndes Airport board despite ongoing concerns about the city's finances.
1. Winning: Love of baseball drives success for MSU head coach Chris Lemonis STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Monday profile: Morris finds calling to medicine, Mississippi COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. County continues seeking easements for Blackjack Road project STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Makerspace movement continues to thrive in Starkville STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Lowndes County begins summer work program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY