Bill Gavin was minutes away from having surgery on Tuesday when he got a phone call from a constituent. "The lady started complaining about streets," the Ward 6 councilman said. "I said, 'Ma'am, I can't talk to you right now ... I'm going to get an operation.'"
Mississippi legislators are considering a Senate Bill that would allow third graders who fail this school year's state-required reading assessment to move on to fourth grade, and area educators say they support the move.
Joe Biden was sworn in as the 46th president of the United States, declaring that "democracy has prevailed" and summoning American resilience and unity to confront the deeply divided nation's historic confluence of crises.
1. A Better Columbus founder calls for new city leadership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes woman dies in Tuesday car wreck COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. City leaders call ABC corruption claims 'baseless' COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus police plan data-gathering strategy to get at causes of crime in city COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Aldermen 'leaning' toward rule change that would allow brewpubs to operate without selling food STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY